What could go wrong?

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Battle of Forli

Traveling back from Longiano to Florence allows a stop in Forli.


What's so special about Forli, might you ask? While it boasts authentic Italian culture, ancient architecture, and some distinguishable scenery, its main attraction is the fact that it's featured in Assassin's Creed II.

Yes, this is a continuation of my secondary mission in visiting the many locales of Assassin's Creed II.

Stopping off the local station of Forli, I jetted off towards the center of the town.


I visited one of the grand churches of the town and more importantly, a key location in the AC:II.


I explored the many bell and clock towers scattered throughout Forli.


I then ventured into the farther reaches of the town to uncover Rocca di Ravaldino:


This now, ancient castle was once quite prominent in real-life. It was a major defense point for the many citizens living within the vicinity. Ravaldino was ruled by Caterina Sforza, a major figure in both real life and the AC:II.

Rocca di Ravaldino

I was enthralled by the design of the castle. It was quite unique to anything I'd seen before.


While moving closer to the structure, I noticed that the interior of the castle was not accessible. But what shocked me was the fact that the castle has now become a prison, of sorts.


Numerous guards patrolled the balcony with guns, while steep fences pervaded around the entire parameter. Quite the discovery!

I circled the premises, and took some time get my Ezio on:


I picked up a rock from a broken wall as a WICKED souvenir:


Afterward, I settled in a nearby cafe titled very appropriately:


The view was quite opportune:


The cafe took in the spirit of Halloween nicely:


Afterward, I trotted back to the station. On the way, I found a Blockbuster!


I entered in and found some cool items that help define the time frame:


Plus, La Terza Madre!


While Blockbuster seems to falling apart in the States, it seems to be booming here in Italy. But wait, I was the only customer in the store...

I found a Pac-Man plastered on a random wall:


On the way to the station, I stopped by a local bus stop, inquiring to see if a forthcoming bus would also be traveling in the same direction.

While reading the incomprehensible Italian bus directions, I noticed a tiny old lady sitting on the bench, also waiting for a bus.

She reluctantly asked me for the time. Stumbling to use my amazing Italian, I provided her with the time of day. Humbled by my tenacity to use Italian, she began conversing with me.

It was one of the most extraordinary conversations I've ever heard. She knew not an ounce of English, but we were able to communicate through my broken Italian and visual language.

We conversed about our background, past experiences, and my future ambitions.

Before I left, she began to formulate a sentence, but was having much trouble putting it together. She kept repeating, "Buno fortuna" or good fortune. In Italian, the word, Luck, doesn't exist, so she was relating it to the closest meaning, fortune. When asked whether she meant, "Good luck", she responded with an enthusiastic, "Yes."

Before leaving, I snapped a photo of her for the memory books.


An unforgettable encounter.

I eventually found the station and took the next train back to Florence.

A pleasant day, paced at an unusual, normal tempo.

No comments:

Post a Comment