What could go wrong?

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Venetian Affiar - Part 2

As Sunday dawned, I knew I couldn't pass up making a pilgrimage to the classic Caffe Florian without leaving.

First thing in the morning, I ventured back to Piazza San Marco in search for Caffe Florian.


Upon charting the iconic establishment, I enjoyed an exquisite breakfast in the Caffe that has played host to such world-class figures as Dickens, Keats, and Shelley.


I felt classical atmosphere while in the Caffe. The inspiration that instigated such literary giants than, was enveloping me as I spent time my time there.


After such an inspiration breakfast (odd combination of words), I decided to visit the Arsenal Shipyard of Venice.


Due to the Italian Navy now holding base within the Shipyard, it is off-limits to visitors. Regardless, viewing the Shipyard from the entrance was quite a sight.

Considering the sea-fearing nature Venice held during the height its power, observing their sea headquarters was quite surreal.



While exploring the deep alleys, I began to notice many runners pacing up and down the narrow streets. It seemed as if some marathon was in session.


It turned out a race HUGE competition/hunting game was taking place throughout Venice.

Continuing forward, I visited other iconic sights. One being the church of Maria dei Miracoli.


The other, Madonna dell'Orto.


After charting these sights, I traveled towards the Ghetto of Venice.


It was in the world's first ghetto, where the Jews were quarantined by the Venetians due to racial and political turmoil. Today, the area still holds a strong Jewish community, as well as a decorated museum.


This area in Venice was also immortalized in Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice, where the Venetian Ghetto played as central locale. Another Shakespearean play, Othello, also took place in Venice. The question lies, did Shakespeare ever visit Venice?

After wandering through more of the utterly sublime design of the Venetian city, I found myself back at the train station, waiting to board the next train home.

Venice is a sight of wonder and distinction. While many cities adapt to the times, Venice has remained true to its roots. This can be seen in its design, architecture, and elemental essence. The city is a national treasure for Italy and just another reason why Italy is one of the deepest countries the world has ever seen.

Oh and one more thing, nothing beats listening to the Merchant of Venice Soundtrack while exploring the wonders of the Venetian affair:

No comments:

Post a Comment